Zoning Hearing Board
- 6:30 pm
- Second Thursday of every month (as needed)
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- Rick Caranfa, Chairman
- David Templin
- Mary Ann Yahn
- Steve Stine, Solicitor
- Erich Bair, Alternate One
The West Hanover Township Zoning Hearing Board (ZHB) is an independent quasi-judicial body established in the Township during the 1960s following the adoption of the Township’s first zoning ordinance and as required by the Municipalities Planning Code (MPC), Act 247. The Zoning Hearing Board serves the community as an appeals “court” and helps to assure fair and equitable application and administration of the Township’s zoning ordinance regulations. The ZHB may hear various appeals and similar cases and has the authority under Pennsylvania law to grant relief from the literal enforcement of the zoning ordinance in accordance with procedures prescribed by the Township’s zoning ordinance and the MPC, Act 247.
The Zoning Hearing Board has jurisdiction in 9 areas as prescribed by the MPC, Act 247. These areas are:
- Substantive challenges to the validity of any land use ordinance
- Challenges raising procedural questions or alleged defects in the enactment or adoption process of a land use ordinance
- Appeals from the determination of the Zoning Officer
- Appeals from a determination by the municipal engineer or zoning officer with regards to the administration of any flood plain or flood hazard regulations
- Applications for variances
- Applications for Special Exceptions
- Appeals from determinations regarding the administration of transfers of development rights or performance density provisions
- Appeals from the zoning officer’s determination regarding preliminary opinions
- Appeals from the municipal engineer’s or zoning officer’s determination in the administration of any land use ordinance with regards to stormwater management and erosion and sedimentation control not involving subdivision, land development or Planned Residential Development (PRD)
The Zoning Hearing Board members are appointed by the Board of Supervisors for terms of 5 years. All ZHB members are residents of West Hanover Township. During their tenure, members of the Zoning Hearing Board are not permitted to hold any other office in the municipality.